Saturday, November 13, 2010

Music and a Movie

This is just to share some stuff I recently found. It's the weekend....wait, no that ain't what I found; just saying it might be a good time for some music and a movie. But first, something completely irrelevant to the rest of the blog...

Ever thought about living in the sewer in a big city? In some ways, some folk find it safer than living on the ground. Check out the photo at this link. These folks have a real bedroom...you just have to have everything elevated a little (including a walkway) in order to avoid the water. 1,000 People Live in Las Vegas Sewer.

Speaking of elevated... remember the Homeland Security Threat Level color code thingy? Maybe you thought that went away. Nah, they just don't put it on TV much any more. You can always check what the level is at the DHS site. Today the regular threat level is "elevated" or yellow. Except for Air traffic, which is "high" or orange. Homeland Security Advisory. Feel better now?

Hat tip to The Perplexed Observer for posting the following video. It's Steve Martin and group singing "Atheists Don't Have No Songs". Funny, irreverent, and excellent singing.



But I wish to point out that many of we atheists DO have songs, and some of them are the same songs Christians have. THIS atheist loves many of the old time Gospel songs and spirituals...I like this one from Johnny Cash... "God's Gonna Cut You Down". Of course I love nearly everything from Johnny Cash, but as far as songs like this go, and aside from the aesthetic liking of the music, I can entertain it as true in a metaphorical sense. "God" won't cut you down, but life or nature damn sure will. How many faces do you know in this video?





I think "Where The Soul Of Man Never Dies" is also one of the prettiest songs I know of. In one sense I think it has more meaning to me as an atheist than to a believer because, besides the beauty of the melody and harmony, I can feel the poignant sadness of the futile hope it talks about.



The following is a movie titled Alexandra's Project. Guy comes home from work to find the wife and kids are absent but have left him a Happy Birthday video. He's really enjoying it until...the gun shows up... I really enjoyed it and not just because of the full frontal nudity. (^.^) I understood the message too. Guys? Do you get it? Hope you enjoy.



TRB

2 comments:

  1. I recognized Kris Kristofferson. Chris Rock. Justin Timberlake. Cheryl Crow. Dennis Hopper. Amy Lee. Dixie Chicks. Bono. Lisa Marie Pressley. Kid Rock. Keith Richards. ZZ Topp. Johnny Depp. Whoopie Goldberg.

    The movie will have to wait till I have some time to watch it. Something that's in short supply these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shelli. I understand about time. Ima try to do a few er three short ones before I get to biggies if I do.

    ReplyDelete