Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Doc Visit

Went to doc's office this am for ultrasound on my neck, carotid artery thingy. Last week I was in for ultrasound in which they check the heart, chest area. This was interesting. small female hands unbuttoning my shirt She was different, from such techs I've seen before; middle aged, graying hair, pixie haircut and personality. I wondered aloud why they didn't do this last week when I was in and she explains that Trevor only does the chest and she only does the neck and they are there on different days. Wow...specialization.


She tells me, "I need you to lay down on the stretcher...er, the table there." I search her face and eyes for signs of humor or malice or... Stretcher!? A little more almost hypnotic talking while she readies the equipment. Turns the lights down low and - this is the different part - turns on music. I kid you not, the set starts with Another One Bites The Dust, followed immediately by the rhythmic stains of Spirit In The Sky. I was almost there with that song... I imagined I felt a brief sting of pain and then my blood was draining away... going somewhere better, to do more important stuff than keeping such a sack as I alive.... my toes and fingers began to get really cold... I was relieved to finally be done with all this...


Then the announcer guy on Magic 98.1 averred maybe it wasn't a Spirit In The Sky, only the International Space Station, and I was being reprimanded by She of the Pixie Haircut (and personality) because the ultrasound machine picks up both laughing and snoring...seems all her patients do one or the other. Luckily she was through anyway and she was handing me paper towels for cleaning up (BANG! - flashes of other events in another life long ago), and getting redressed, the lights coming on, moods broken...one of the stories of my life. Damn announcer guy...


TRB

1 comment: