Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Scarcity and Time

I never understood the idea that the less of a thing there is the more valuable it is. I would be interested to know if there is a name for my particular brain disorder. It seems common wisdom that the correct equation is ^s=^v. "Increased scarcity equals increased value". You hear it all the time, if there is a holdup in oil production and thus a slight drop in the amount of it available, the price rises sharply. You hear it in the every days lives of people, "life is so precious because it is so short." I enjoy shrimp. If there were only 7 shrimp left on earth I would not enjoy them any more than if the earth were drowning in them. One reason I find it very difficult to get all enthused about doing a lot of things is because life is so short. A human life time is a barely detectable flicker. Assure me I can reasonably expect to live 10 thousand years, and I could get interested in doing stuff; then I have time to do stuff. I'm 53, I've just barely started really learning important stuff. I need another century just to get reasonably well educated.


Look at this video. There are 8,000 year old mummies there in Chile. Get this, some of them still have their own teeth and even some hair...after 8 THOUSAND years! I have 6 teeth left and not a lot more hairs. WTF!? I'm sure his mommy made him brush after every meal and brush his hair 100 strokes every night before bed and I never did that so it's naturally all my fault.


Mummies in Chile.



In either the third or fourth installment of Michio Kaku's series on BBC called TIME, there is a piece about large salt crystals that were found in a cave in Arizona, I think it was. Inside some of those crystals were little drops of water. Inside the water were bacteria that were living. Not bacteria fossils, not dead bacteria that were once alive, but living moving animals that have been in that particlar drop of water for about 200 MILLION years! Watch the whole series here, it's only 4 hours. Ah, ya got plenty of time.


TRB

No comments:

Post a Comment