Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Golden Years

There is so much stuff that I would or might include include in a blog it would be wikipedia (did you know International Towel Day will be here in May?). Instead, for this one, I just wanted to reflect a bit.


When I was in my teens and twenties especially, I thought that if I ever had any "golden years", they would be more miserable than my younger years. It turned out, they ain't. Fifty-three (I pass that milestone on the 23rd) may seem young to some to be in "golden years", but my life seems to have so far progressed at a little faster pace than average. In any case...


I had a terrific day. Melinda made a great cababbage and sausage lunch that included her squash casserole with melted cheese on top. Sat on the front porch afterward with a smoke and my boy, Tucker, at my feet. The yard is slowly returning to green except for an impossibly lush, thick and green square foot clump right in the middle. Must be a genuine Eden on a small scale. The old moss-covered oak in the yard next door is slowly struggling to bud again, like a very old man who manages to wake up and get out of bed in under an hour. Distant plane engines drone; my skin is warmed by the sun, yet cooled by early Spring breeze (never mind the calendar), while I keep one ear on the adventures of Little Joe and Hoss coming from the television machine inside.


Yakima...nothing, it just sounded like a good word to say at the moment and brought a mental vision of "yacky maw" (I'm southern), followed by an image of a short chunky, red-haired woman incessantly chattering...apparently one of my brain's interpretations of what a "yacky maw" would look like.


I am about as free as I'm going to get this side of the grave. I can do that...sit on the porch and mind wander. No pressures, no deadlines, no expectations from other people, nothing that I worry about. Sure, there could be more gold in these years...I might be able to travel the world, etc.... but then I suppose that might be tiring. I neither know nor care how much money I might owe, any more than I know or care about the precise amount of radiation I was exposed to today.


The Fonz and Pat Boone interrupt Hoss to tell me of the virtues of reverse mortgages (would Elvis have done those?). I suppose the under thirty demographic doesn't watch Hoss, Matt Dillon, et al so much. Hillary doesn't want to be Secretary of State for another term. I wonder if I'll die before 70...


If y'all have not yet had any "golden years" I really hope they show up soon for you. Turns out it was just as well I was never able to "save for retirement". I guess I'm retired...I'm medically totally disabled, have no desire or need to "work" any more, not that it helped me much when I did. I had a 401K for a while and got up to about $4K...spent it on a woman I was "in love" with, a lot of it on prepaid phone cards. Damn drugs. If I had managed to pay for a house, looks like (according to the Fonz) I would now need to do the whole thing in reverse. Meh. Less bother this way. Taking a "God's eye view" of the whole bit, ya might say.


May be back soon with a "substance" blog...if I can find any. Pssst..hey buddy. Ya wanna see Amanda Seyfried and Julianne Moore get nekkid and have sex...with each other? Watch Chloe.



TRB

No comments:

Post a Comment