Friday, July 19, 2013

Smile...it'll all be over soon.

I think this country is in trouble. That’s hardly a new thing though; many others have thought it in trouble for many decades and for very different reasons. This is not “about” the Zimmerman trial; I mention it only as the most recent example of what I mean. I think that most people think that if only he or she could see or know the evidence they would agree with me. Tain’t necessarily so, though. Most people can see exactly the same pieces of information but come to completely opposite conclusions about it and what it means.

I have no problem with disagreements; of course I wish I could convince others to agree with me, but if they don’t they don’t and I accept that. What I don’t find acceptable at all, is people becoming so incredibly emotional about a thing that they resort to name calling, losing friendships, or even physical violence. Here’s what I mean, re the Zimmerman thing. I completely agree with the verdict and I see no evidence at all that Zimmerman committed any crime at all. Some of my friends come to the opposite conclusion, I grant, based on their own reasonable understanding or interpretation of the questions at hand. Then there are other people, a friend or two, several acquaintances, whose virulent emotionalism causes them to delete me, call me terrible names, etc. One example:

I know nothing at all about the atheist blogger Greta Christina except from reading pieces she has posted and a video or two. I have sometimes commented on those, I think always positively, certainly not ever in any negative way. Surely she knows even less of me (not that she should know me) and yet, upon reading in some thread that I didn’t see where Zimmerman was wrong, she said, “You are a moral monster. Get out of my life”. *sigh* That kind of thing is very trying and very tiring...not to mention completely false and uncalled for. So okay, the worst thing that has happened to me regarding that is being called names and being deleted. Some other people have had much worse things happen to them.

Of course I know that the lynch mob mentality is hardly new and it surprises me that it surprises me...but it does. I also get called a racist scumbag among other jewels by people who don’t know me and I think that some of them, even if they knew me well, would still do that if I disagreed with them on something like this. It’s not like the only people who agree with the verdict are the KKK. Is Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz a racist Jew scumbag because he also agrees with the verdict? Is Charles Barkley a racist because he agrees with the verdict? No, he’s just an ignorant Uncle Tom. Are all black people who support Zimmerman stupid race traitors?

Remember ‘the trial of the century’ and how that came out and how so many white people rioted against an obviously unjust verdict?

This should give you some idea of how mainstream media plays the masses. If people (especially black people) really were interested in justice, then where are the protests against an absurdly unjust sentence against a woman who fired a gun in self defense but hit no one and ended up sentenced to 20 years in prison for that? This case has nothing whatever to do with the Zimmerman trial, though many people try to make it so. I have no idea whether there were any racial issues involved in the Alexander case, but either way, it’s a ridiculous sentence which should not stand. It made a few headlines..no biggie. Why not? I don't think the news people saw anything really 'juicy' in it; nothing to stir the masses to violence.

I do find it a bit disheartening that most if not all the support for Zimmerman has come from the conservatives...if you happen to know of a liberal anywhere (besides me) who supports the verdict please let me know. Anyone who knows me at all knows I am way more of a libtard than a conservatard, so whassup? I totally support the libtards on things like abortion rights, gay marriage, etc. I think it’s reprehensible that so many Republican/conservatives seem so determined to get all up in peoples’ personal private lives on those two things. I think it’s just as reprehensible that so many Democrats/liberals want to get all up in peoples’ lives about what words they are allowed to say, whether they can own a gun, etc. I find it reprehensible that Libertariantards don’t think they have any responsibility to society to share the wealth and take care of the poor.

Will there ever be ‘racial harmony’ on a large scale? No, of course not...it is not in the human genome. Will there ever be equality between the rich and the poor? Same answer. Birds of a feather flock together.

Is there ever any escape from all this? Yup: Ecclesiastes 9:5,6. 5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. 6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Sweet dreams...while you can. :)

TRB

3 comments:

  1. I agree, Temy. People don't see the value of disagreements. Personal growth and learning only come from disagreement. Nothing makes us think like disagreement. Nothing focuses our attention like disagreement. Nothing uncovers the truth faster than disagreement.

    The Zimmerman trial is primarily a circus to occupy the masses so that we don't focus on the more fundamental disagreements that have the potential to bring about the change necessary to pull the country out of its deep trouble. The hidden criminals are taking us down, and they won't allow us to disagree. They keep us distracted, occupied, misinformed, misled, and ignorant. In a nutshell, they keep us divided and conquered ("You are a moral monster. Get out of my life").

    It's a grim situation, and it makes death look attractive. But here again, we should disagree. Only by disagreeing to lay down and die do we find the resolve to fight for the change we need in what is ultimately the battle of good versus evil, of saints versus sociopaths. The sociopaths figured out long ago that it is a battle for survival. The saints only realize it near the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know Temy I completely disagreed with you on the Zimmerman thing as well as a few other things in the past, but such is life. I never tried to argue with you but certainly would discuss anything with you. I saw the Greta Christina comment on facebook and honestly it broke my heart. I was such a mean ass thing to say and reflects poorly on the atheist/skeptical movement. On her part it was an emotional response not a reasoned response. I thought the point of the atheist/skeptical movement was to be better than that, after all it 'marketed' as a rationalist (as in logical) movement. Doesn't take much examination of the movement tho to find that overall it is about as fucked up as any other human movement, full of emotional disputes, inner fighting, power struggles and the usual dumb ass monkey shit throwing BS.

    ReplyDelete